Thursday, August 31, 2006

Put it in the bag

Today the boys had a primary activity. S3 stayed with a neighbor while I took S1, S2 and my neighbor's daughter to the activity. They were doing a humanitarian project where they assembled school bags for kids across the globe who don't have any.

Well, this was the perfect activity for S1. Usually he gets lost cognitively during the lesson but this one was super short and had pictures, which helped. Then the kids started helping to assemble these school kits.

One kid would hold the bag open, another would insert three notebooks, another would put in a chalkboard and eraser and then we would get the bag. I would give S1 two pencils and hold the bag open while saying "Put it in the bag". Which he would do, very well and each time. About half way through the pencils got boring so I had him put the box of chalk into the bag. That was better because he could pick it up from the table by himself and then put it into the bag - with a verbal prompt. Eventually it got too noisy from all the other kids talking in their excitement. So I let S1 get up and he went over and played on the piano while we all finished up. It was a good thing it was so loud so his playing was not a distraction!

S2 was having fun with his friend over at another table as they stuffed pencils and erasers into bags. As things were wrapping up a few other kids, mostly S1's age and older, were playing on the piano with him creating quite the racket. I went over and let the other kids know that they couldn't play on the piano because it made it too loud. I said that S1 got to play because he didn't know better and it was the only way to keep him in the room while we were cleaning up. They all understood and were very helpful. When we were done and the kids needed to sit down and get ready for their treats, I convinced S1 to get off the piano by telling him about the snacks. Bribery, it works.

When the sister who was in charge opened the side door, after we got our treats and were starting to eat, I knew that I'd better get S1's leash back on before he took off. Sure enough, he wanted out so I had to call to S2 and his friend to tell them it was time to go.

In the two years we have been in this ward, this was by far THE BEST primary activity that S1 has been to because he could really participate, contribute and be himself without being a total distraction. I loved it and I am sure he did too.

No comments: