Sunday, August 27, 2006

Growing, Growing, Gone

It's amazing how time flies and the kids grow. Just a couple of days ago I walked into the kitchen and thought something was off, so I turned around to look. At first I only saw the kitchen chair pushed up against the cupboard and wondered how it got there. Then my eyes and brain finally registered on the 15 month old standing on the chair with one little hand buried in the silverware drawer and the other clutching a cache of toddler forks. How did he get up there? S3 apparently had pushed the chair across the floor to the column of drawers. The bottom one was out slightly so he use that to help him climb onto the chair. So at least once a day I come around the corner from the hall to the kitchen and get a start as that cherubic little face looks up at me from his perch on the chair, clutching his treasure.

This morning I woke up to S2 saying, "Mom, will you finish pulling up my zipper?" I rolled over to find the four year old totally dressed and ready for the day. He just needed help getting the zipper up to the tippy top. That is nice, to have one child who can take care of themselves, if they so desire, of course. I also got a good look at how tall he is getting. He's growing up so fast. He reminds me of my youngest brother a lot. And now that brother is in his senior year of high school! So, I know that before I realize it S2 will also be grown up and gone.

And even S1 is getting more self sufficient. He wanted to take a bath this morning so I insisted that he try to take off his clothes by himself. He tried pulling up on his shirt but wasn't having much success. So I helped him get one arm out and then he pretty much got the rest himself. He dropped the shirt on the floor but I told him he needed to put it in the dirty laundry and I pointed to the hamper so he picked up the shirt and put it in! Then I had to get him started on the pants because he kept trying to pull them up further instead of down. But once I had them down a couple of inches he was able to get out of them the rest of the way on his own. I had to had the shorts to him but with prompting he did put them in the hamper also! Then he had a fantastic time splashing in the tub. S1 used to flood the bathroom when he bathed but he finally got to the point where he'll let me pull the shower curtain closed so he can splash all he wants without me needed to pull out the wet/dry vac. S1 knows he's not allowed to stand up and jump in the tub but he loves to do it because it makes the biggest splash. The shower curtain doesn't allow me to see what he is doing, but I can hear it. So, today he jumped and I told him he had to sit down or get out. He immediately sat down (which he usually does) and didn't have to be reminded again. S1 also is getting better at washing himself. We still have to do it hand over hand, but he is more compliant now. I wish it were the same for tooth brushing!

No comments: