Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Must...go...out...side

Here's a math word problem for you. How long does it take an autistic child, who got on the bus at 8:40 am, went to school and played outside and returned home at 4:00 pm, to want to play outside again? Answer: 1/2 nanosecond. Okay, mathematically the question has no basis and no way to solve it. But didn't we all love math word problems?

When S1 gets home from school usually I am out there pretty quick and when he is on the second step from the bottom in the bus, I lean in and I have him lean over my shoulder and I pick him up and carry him into the house, up four steps. Who cares that he weighs 50 pounds. I do this because if I don't the following happens: the bus aide lets him off the bus, still holding his hand, and he promptly sits down in the dirt to play in the gravel- ready to be run over by the bus as it drives off (don't worry, she doesn't leave while he's near the bus). If it's a good day he may take three steps before he collapses onto the grass and refuses to come inside. So, he may be good at going on the bus, but he is still absolutely dreadful about coming into the house from the bus. Picking up a dead weight of fifty pounds (especially if it is kicking and flailing its arms) from the ground is much much harder than having it lean over your shoulder while upright. Sometimes I can bribe S1 to come inside with a promise of a treat (and then I have to find one!) However, this does not always work and sometimes I get a workout getting him in the front door.

Now getting S1 in the door is even more complicated since S3 tries to sneak outside while I am bringing his brother in from the bus! More than once the three of us have almost ended up in a heap on the floor.

This evening my sister, who is living with us, left to go to a religious class (Institute). As she left, S2 was holding S1 back while Terraza was closing the door and I came in from the kitchen to help. S1 went absolutely to pieces crying because I would not let him out, S3 was none too pleased either. About 15 seconds after she left, my husband returned home. Well, opening the door again and not letting them run out like dogs, was like the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. Everyone started wailing, I was just getting dinner on the table and I had had an emotionally draining day. So I couldn't take it and told my husband just to take them all out front, I didn't care that S1 and S3 were dressed only in shirts and diapers! Just get out.

Once I had things organized I went outside and S1 and S2 were sitting in the car playing in the back seat, S1 seatbelted in. S3 was sitting next to the open door playing in the dirt and Dad was on his cell phone. Earlier I had started trimming back a humongous blackberry bush that is on our property line. So, since it was cool and Dave was talking, I started trimming. Tomorrow is garbage day so I wanted to make sure that the can was full. Anyway, long story short (but not by much ;)) we still had to pry S1 out of the car and drag/carry him into the house and with the promise that after dinner they could go for a ride and take a trip. This convinced him not to cry as he was forced into the house. Right now S1 and S2 are currently out with their dad. They went with him to pick up some slacks (Dad took the leash for S1) and since they were close to the university, decided to go by and hear the marching band play since it is band camp week, their aunt is in the band and S1 absolutely LOVES bands. It's after 10 pm and they still are out, doesn't Dad realize it's a school night?

One last question. Even though S1 was out late with his dad, at what time in the morning will he be at the front door wanting to go to school? Answer: Before 8 am.

No comments: