Monday, May 14, 2007

Medic Alert

S1 now has a medic alert bracelet. His grandpa has one and since he had a discount for a family member, generously purchased a bracelet and one year membership for S1. So, the next time he "escapes", people will be able to identify him. He got a cool sports band with music notes on it, not that he has noticed mind you. S1 has definitely noticed the bracelet, he has tried to rip it off a few times, but I don't think he has paid any attention to the notes yet. He hates wearing things like bracelets.

It gives me more peace of mind. But people constantly amaze me. Like a couple of weeks ago at church. I sat him down, right next to his teacher, she knew he was there. I then went to prep my Sunbeam class room and lesson, Dave was playing with the orchestra. When I went back into the primary room, I looked at S1's class and he was not there. I asked his teacher, "Where's S1?" She said, "Huh?"

He was no where in the primary room! Right outside the primary room there is a set of double doors going outside. Apparently his teacher had thought someone was missing but couldn't think who wasn't with the class. S1 just slipped out when she wasn't looking I guess, it's happened to me. Anyway, so I immediately am worried he's gone outside but I couldn't see anyone when I opened the doors. So I headed back down to the chapel where he likes to sneak off and play the piano. No luck. As I was headed back outside, someone called that they found him.

He had gone across the hall into the Sunday School room. He was sitting next to a sister looking at her baby's book. No one in there bothered to wonder what a primary kid was doing in Sunday School, without a parent, just hanging out. Or to come and tell anyone in the primary, or find his parent! We've been in the ward for over 2 1/2 years people! The ward isn't that big, we are rather small. So anyway, it just amazes me how apathetic people can be. It just makes me realize how much danger S1 will be in if he does get out in the world alone because if the people who know him and know his disabilities are so apathetic, what can you expect of those who don't?

No comments: