Sunday, May 20, 2007

Climbing like a monkey

So, we were at the zoo about a month or so ago and we were in the kid's discovery land, or in other words, playground. S1 amazed me by climbing up a rope ladder, getting on the platform and then zipping down the slide. This really should have prepared me for where I found him the other day. His motor development has come a long way.

S3 was down for a nap. I could hear the bunk bed squeaking because someone was shaking it (it's a huge metal beast). I assumed that S2 was up there goofing around and my ire was instantly up since I did not want him to wake up S3. So I go storming down the hall, totally unprepared for what I saw when I opened the door. There was S1 on the top bunk, having the time of his life! It's amazing how easily entertained he can be at times. Anyway, I was stunned, the ire quickly disappeared and was replaced with wonder. We've had that bunk bed up for at least six months now and I do not recall, even once seeing S1 interested in climbing up to the top! But there he was. Luckily I was able to easily convince him to come to me and I lifted him down. However, when the babysitter was here that night she found him up there twice more!

As David said, "That'll teach you to leave the ladder leaning against the house!" Yeah, just what we need, S1 on the roof. FYI, I only do that in the front yard where the kids can't get to it. Even if they couldn't climb it, they could still knock it over and get hurt.

But back to the climber. My main concern now that he can climb up is how he will get down. I can just picture S1 just bailing over the side to get down. Maybe today we'll work with him to try and teach him how to properly dismount. Now that I think about it, S1 may have been inspired by his brothers antics. The other day Dave put S3 up on the top bunk with S2 and they had a riot together up there for a while, attended by a parent of course. Now S3 goes to the bed and begs to be put back up on top, although I refuse because I don't have all day to sit in their room and watch him play on the top bunk. Maybe S1 saw all this, even though you don't think he is paying attention or cares, and began to think, "Hey, maybe there is a reason to get up there, it looks like fun! I should give it a try."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of the cool things about S1 is that developmental milestones come, usually, when we least expect them. It gives us the opportunity for wonder, and a renewal of gratitude and joy. These new skills often provide new parental challenges.