Monday, May 07, 2007

Life in the Fast Lane

We're only in the fast lane, or maybe it would be better said the slow lane because everything is just speeding by! I can't believe that we are already in May. Wow. Lately I've been stressed with my calling because all three boys are home while I try to run Activity Days. Managing six girls ages 8 and 9 and trying to help them learn something worthwhile while having fun is a challenge in and of itself. But when you throw one boy in who is constantly interrupting and two more who think they are activity day girls and want to participate, it can almost drive you insane! By the end of July I will have eleven girls due to new move ins and birthdays. It shall be an adventure.

My calling as a Sunbeam teacher has been a stretch too. Dave has been playing with the orchestra a lot for the broadcast so he's missed quite a few Sundays. By the time I get the boys ready for church and wrangle them all through Sacrament meeting, my patience is pretty thin when I get to my seven wriggly sunbeams. Having to police them while teaching wears thin. Don't worry, I don't swear at the sunbeams, but I definitely am drained by the time we get home on our day of "rest".

S1 has been gaining weight now that we have dropped the Zonegran. It's only a couple of pounds but he sure looks healthier. He loves school. He really enjoyed having his aunt Katie around last week because she kept playing the flute. It was a bit shrill for his tastes (he prefers the tuba) but he still liked it none the less. One of his math goals is to match like objects. He has been matching silverware at school so now his chore at home is to put away the silverware. I of course have to stand behind him so he doesn't run away, but when I hand him a spoon, fork or butter knife, he puts it in the right slot in the drawer. Well, he pretty much chucks it at the right slot so it makes it half way in and then I straighten it. We'll work on accuracy later. He just needs to have a chore to do.

S2 is quick as a whip. He's enjoyed visiting with his cousin Lorna this last month. Since she left he talks about going with her to the reptile museum, the animal farm and the zoo. She is a year older and very bright too. The only down side to the visit is that he heard how well she reads. Afterwards he didn't want to read because he couldn't do it as well as Lorna. It took a few days before we could convince him to read again, assuring him that he read very well for his age (4) and that when he was a year older like his cousin, if he kept practicing, he'd be reading just as well as her.

S3 is no longer my baby. He turned two last week and is one rough and tumble kid. S2 and S3 love to wrestle and rough house. I am forever telling them to calm down. This also meant that I finally took his bottle away. He only got two a day, one at nap time and one at bedtime. Oh how it broke my heart when he cried for his ba ba so I caved a little and let him have one filled with water. He yelled NO! and wanted nothing to do with it. So I just left it next to him and let him know that if he changed his mine it was there. He's such a sweet kid, always giving hugs and saying "tank two".

Dave is doing well at school, having a blast teaching. He also loves playing with the orchestra. Dave is also part of a couple of groups so he plays weddings and other gigs a couple times a month. Currently he has the opportunity to be the Assistant Marching Band Director at BYU but we aren't sure it would work out well for our family. It is full time for six months only (July 1 to December 31) and then nothing. Then to be repeated year after year as long as they/we wanted. Of course Dave would give his right arm (and possibly his wife's also) for this opportunity but we'd have to figure out what he could do to support us from January to June! As Dave has said, he loves to do everything and it's hard not to be able to do it all. Well, isn't life hard? ;)

There's the short version of what we are up to. I'll write about my "vacation" later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.