Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Have you been sniffing glue?

You know those days when your kids just seem to be "on one"? They are just extra silly or goofy or whatever so that you'd think they were sniffing glue? But you know they aren't because you don't have any glue. Well, that was yesterday with S1 - like he would be able to sniff glue, he'd spill it all down his front! Anyway, I had the living room all picked up before the boys got home from school. I could feel a head cold coming on and I wanted to have something accomplished before I had to sit. The basket of toys was under the coffee table, an old 3 gallon ice cream bucket full of fake food had the lid on it and was next to the couch. Then the boys got home from school. Everything was fine for a while. S1 watched a video and had a snack, S2 was playing in his room. Well, next thing I know S1 is in the living room gleefully giggling to himself as he dumps out the toy box and begins to throw everything in the air up over his head and all over the living room. Meanwhile he's laughing like some great comedian is telling jokes. When that fun game is over he gets up and bolts over to the bucket of fake food and proceeds to do the same. Now the living room looks even worse than before I picked up! At least then everything was in a couple of piles but now it is thrown all over the room. I decide to just leave it because there is no point in picking any of it up. When I told S1 to stop he just ignored me and kept on with his funny little game. When he gets in moods like this, there is no stopping him. It's funny to watch but when he gets "on one" it sure gets destructive!

1 comment:

Danyelle Ferguson said...

I totally understand. My oldest has autism too. My hubby is a neat freak - me, not so much. But we both had to learn to compromise and lower our "clean house" expectations. Now, I figure if I vacuum every room in the house once a week & we don't have yucky food on the floor, counters, table, etc - then we're doing really great! Don't stress too much. Just get the rest you need to get over your head cold, then worry about it. :)