Friday, February 20, 2009

No wonder I'm tired

I originally wrote this as a letter to my brother-in-law on a mission. I thought it would make a good blog entry so I modified it and here it is!

Our week was busy as usual. Last Sunday, the 8th, we got to speak for the first time since we've been in this ward. Our topic was the Atonement, specifically about repentance and how it ties into the Atonement. Our talks went well and we recieved several compliments. Since varying themes of the Atonement are the topics for this month, I gave a brief overview of the atonement and of repentance. Then I talked about how all the repentance in the world would be pointless without the Atonement. I used the scriptures, the Teaching of the Presidents of the Church : Joseph Smith, and Ensign talks to illustrate my points. My favorite quote was from Joseph Smith where he said that we shouldn't have to repent everyday. Basically that we should be living in such a way that we shouldn't be sinning all the time and that knowing we can repent shouldn't be an excuse to sin. Dave talked more about how if we repent it opens us up to have the spirit to be with us and how we shouldn't be compelled to repent. Dave almost let the time get away from him but at ten after noticed the time and quickly wrapped up. He spoke for twenty minutes. I teased him that he should be a high councilman. Dave was gone two nights this week with pep band games and gone another night on a gig. He was relieved when I told him I didn't want anything for Valentine's Day. I've finally managed to get back to the gym and worked out really hard this week so it's not like I wanted to eat a bunch of chocolates (Maybe I'd make an exception for See's). Flowers die to quickly and cost too much. So he gave me a much better present - he did the hand washing! You know, the dishes that can't go into the dishwasher. There was a huge pile of them.

Our family home evening theme this month is Self-Control. That's a fun one to try and teach a six and three year old. But it has actually come in handy, especially when they start to lose their temper over something trivial. The kids love to sing "Give said the little stream" at every FHE. S2 had his usual piano lesson on Monday. However, he had gone to his friends house to play before hand and I had to run over to pick him up because he lost track of time. His teacher says he's doing really well and she's giving him stuff she gives to kids a few years older than he is. S3 had speech therapy on Tuesday and loved it as usual. He loves having his own teacher. He's going to love preschool next year. On Wednesday I went to volunteer in S2's class as usual. I help the kids with one on one reading. While I do that the other kids in the class like to take turns reading to S3. Thursday I took the van in, yes, the 95 Astro Van is still alive, to get the muffler and tail pipe replaced so it would pass inspection to get it registered and I had to go shopping for S2's class party the next day. Friday mornings I go in to help with the PTA reading program and that afternoon it was the Valentine's party in S2's class (I was in charge) and let me tell you, that is the craziest party of the whole year! I was so glad when it was over.

S3 has decided that the TV is better watched on the ground and he likes to tip it on its side and upside down and watch it from all sorts of angles. Then once he rolls it too far the cord comes out the back and he comes to fetch me so I can set everything right. Repeat this every 15 minutes or so all day long - aaaaahhhhhhh! Tomorrow I am going to find someplace that sells plexiglass and order a piece big enough to go over the front of the entertainment center so he can't pull it out and do TV gymnastics anymore! Unfortunately it is President's Day so the kids will be home all day so I probably won't get it until Tuesday. Plus I'll have the place drill holes in it so I can just screw it onto the entertainment center.

Saturday the boys were stoked to get Valentine's Cards from their grandparents. They were really jazzed when they found McDonald's gift cards inside. Then S2 wanted to call all his grandparents and wish them a Happy valentine's day. He called his paternal grandparents, both of mine and Grandma Ruth before he got tired of calling people but he had fun conversations with them. After we cleaned their room we made cookie hearts and decorated them and took them to the boys' primary teachers and a couple families in the ward. Then I had to run off to work. Oh, S2 decided to make me a valentine all on his own without any suggestion or help. It was so cute. Everytime I came into the kitchen he was quick to cover it up. When he had to leave he covered it with a paper and told me not to look. So when he gave it to me it was fun to read. The main message said, "Roses are red, Vilits are blue, Fowers are sweet and so are you." I told him that I love vilits and fowers. I let him know that he did a great job spelling everything out on his own. He's such a thoughtful kid. He had the scripture and prayer in primary today. He prayed that the kids could all be obedient to their teachers and that we could all be kind and love one another. It was great.

So that was our week, more or less. I called Jen (my sister in law) at the end of last week to see if I could help her after her foot surgery but she was doing well getting around and such. Dave was gone to the a Music Educators conference so pretty much with the three boys with me I would have been more of a hinderance for Jen than a help! This week I have to get invitations made for Katie's (my other sister in law) bridal shower and I am doing the donation request and collections for the elementary schools PTA fundraiser - joy. Plus all the normal stuff I have to do. Add on top of that that the boys are now dying to go to McDonalds and it will be another hectic but fun week at the Faires house.

No comments: