Thursday, October 05, 2006

All I Want for Christmas is a Convertible

S1 is smart for someone so cognitively challenged. He sure knows what he wants. As I was sitting eating my dinner, S1 was looking at an advertisement we had received in the mail. I was wondering why he was so fascinated by it. Then he kept bringing it over to me. I finally realized that he was pointing to a one inch square picture of a man driving a convertible. I said, " Oh, you wish you could go for a ride in a convertible, huh?"

My mistake. He immediately started to pull on my hand to get me to take him for a ride. I told him no, that I was eating dinner. Around this point Dave comes in and asks S1 for a hug. S1 walks over, gives him a hug and thinking he's "paid" the piper, takes Dave's hand and heads for the door. When Dave doesn't budge, S1 goes into the living room and comes back with Dave's shoe and hands it to him. Because we all know you can't go anywhere if you don't have your shoes on. When it is made clear to S1 that Dad isn't taking him, that mom will when she is done eating, he leaves the room again and comes back with my keys and hands them to me. I spent the rest of the time eating my dinner with one hand while S1 pulled on the other, the entire time clutching the ad. When we finally went out the door he dropped the ad. It was a short trip to Hollywood Video and he loved running around in there, all of the neat isles and good reverberation for his voice. This time there was an added bonus, a chair on wheels left unattended that he enjoyed pushing around.

No matter what you say of S1, he is very observant. You may think he is not paying attention, but you are wrong. He is just checking everything out and if he is not interested, then he doesn't recognize it. That makes everything fun.

No comments: