Friday, October 20, 2006

You say Apple I Say Tomato

So, since tomatoes are currently more expensive than a gallon of gasoline ($2.50 gal vs $3.00 lb) I have not bought many as of late. Rather, I have hit up my friends with an over abundance of tomatoes from their gardens. Well, due to the rainy weather we have had, there are lots of green tomatoes and a few orange ones. I got a few orangy-red ones from my neighbor across the street. I brought them home and put them up in the windowsill in the garage where they would be out of reach of little hands and still be able to get sunlight to ripen up. Well, after school S1 went outside to play. I saw him running around in the backyard having a terrific time pushing toys around and such. Well, I was just getting dinner started when in he comes from the garage - with something in his mouth that was too big for it so he had both hands on it, trying to shove it in. It was orangy-red and I was alarmed as to what he could have found to ingest. As I got closer I realized that it was a tomato!

The little bugger had decided he was hungry and had spotted the tomatoes. He climbed onto my deep freezer in order to reach the tomatoes. I had put five up on the sill, but now there are only three! I looked around because I knew he was currently eating the fourth, like you or I would eat an apple (mind you that he won't eat raw apples-too hard for him to bite down on), but I could not locate the fifth anywhere. He apparently had already eaten it prior to coming into the house. The sneaky little devil. S1 loves tomatoes and pretty much any other food that is red. Of course he was a complete mess with tomato drippings and seeds all down his hands and arms so I thought it would be easiest to just clean him up with a bath. This definitely became the plan of action after further investigation uncovered that he had had diarrhea and because at school they hadn't put the diaper on straight, it leaked all the way down one leg and onto his new shoes! What a mess.

Also, this showed me that although we may not think S1 is very observant since he doesn't seem to fully comprehend everything around him or pick up on academic subjects, he in fact is fully aware and observant. He just ignores everything that he doesn't see a use for or isn't interested in. He also noticed the difference in the environment from just the day before. Such a funny boy.

No comments: