Sunday, October 29, 2006

Back to Normal

The move to the med-surg floor took a few hours because we had to wait for an open bed. Once we moved to the new room, S3 got comfortable in his crib and he was off the IV, but it was still in his foot. He still had the pulse/oxygen monitor on his toe but he spent the rest of the day snoozing either in the crib or in Aunt Jen, Gma F or my arms.

Around 2:30 pm I went over to Jen's house to grab some lunch and to take a nap. I finally fell asleep and slept for an hour until I got a phone call that woke me up from Dave. I couldn't get back to sleep so I went to the hospital. S3 had woken up from a nap and he proceeded to stay awake for the next four hours or so but he finally went to sleep after he got drugs. It was an up and down night since they reconnected the IV so he could get some more fluids. During the night he would wake up because he foot got tangled in the tubes. Around midnight the nurse took him off of the IV because he had had enough fluid for the day and it kept getting tangled causing the alarm to go off. After that S3 would keep waking up because his pulse monitor would come off his toe and start beeping. So, he was doing well enough that after a few hours, around 4 am, we took the monitor off so he could sleep better.

S3 slept better for a couple of hours but then woke up ready to go for the day at six. But due to the time change it was really 5 am. Our nurse went and got him a toy and I turned a movie on for him and went to lay down and take a little snooze. About an hour later I wake up to him standing in his crib wanting to get out. So out I took him. First he sat in the rocking chair by himself. Then he got down and started rummaging in the cupboard with my things in it. He brought me my deodorant. What was he hinting at? Next he climbed up into my chair bed and sat there watching cartoons and drinking milk for the next couple of hours.

Once I could order him breakfast I did, but he didn't want any by the time it came. Soon both of his Grandmothers were there and they took turns holding him. Before grandma W came, grandma F and I took S3 for a wagon ride because he wanted a change of scenery. We went down to the cafeteria to eat and then as I went back to the room she took him for a lap around the floor. As they got back Grma W arrived.

Soon he was getting sleepy though and only wanted Mom to hold him. So I did and he started drifting in and out of consciousness. I thought he might be in discomfort. We let the nurse know and soon he got his meds and fell asleep soundly. By this time church was about to start so we all went down for the 30 min sacrament meeting. The ward there also gives blankets out to all the kids who are in the hospital that day so S3 got a new blanket - which is good since he later threw up on his old one. It was funny to go to church with no make up, having not showered and dressed in a shirt and jeans. But I was glad to be there and most grateful for the opportunity to partake of the sacrament.

When we got back he was still asleep so upon hearing that the doctor wouldn't be by for a couple of hours because he was stuck in emergency surgeries, I headed over to Jen's to take a nap. Grandma W also headed back home to help Dave with the kids and get a nap herself. Fast forward three hours later and I am awakened by a phone call. The doctor only has a few minutes so he took off S3's bandages and says he looks great but to expect more swelling until tomorrow. Grandma F is taking off because she needs to go catch her plane but Aunt Jen is there. So, here I sit eating a quick lunch and updating you before I head back to the hospital.

Apparently while I was gone he slept a little while longer and then woke up. He was acting hungry so Grandma F ordered him some mac and cheese, green beans and grape juice. He wolfed down the mac and cheese himself but was not interested in the beans. He also enjoyed the juice. She then took him down to the play room in the wagon and he played there for an hour-walking around and climbing up and around. Then she noticed what time it was and headed back to the room with him. He was sitting on her lap and before she knew it he threw up all over the place. They got it all cleaned up and he had more juice and he threw up again- even more macaroni. But the whole time he was happy as a clam and was watching movies until the doctor came to take off his bandages. The only down side to this is that the drain isn't secured to his head so now he can pull on it easily. The doc said not worry because it is hard to pull out, but we could tape it down or restrain his hands.

Anyway, he is talking more and is back up to his old tricks, wanting to feed and water himself. I couldn't be more grateful for how well he is doing and how things have gone. The nurses have been fantastic. Luckily we have come during a "slow" period so they are very helpful. Last night the nurse even made up my recliner bed, linens and all, while I sat holding S3. Heck, the food hasn't been bad either!

Oh, one last thing. I finally got a smile from him this morning. I don't even remember what I did, but I was goofing off with him when we got back from our first walk and he just gave me this huge grin. It was great. He's already looking different, even though he is all swollen. You can tell his head isn't so pointy and his eyebrows are no longer arched but long and flat. It'll be interesting to see what he looks like when I get back now that his bandages are gone.

No comments: