Monday, September 18, 2006

He WANTS to get dressed

Well, S1 certainly is picking up on a lot more these days. We were most impressed last week when, after being in his pajamas all day, S1 started pulling and tugging at his clothes. I asked him if he wanted to change his shirt and he immediately came over for help in getting it off. We got his new shirt on and I continued to fold clothes. He then started pulling at his pants and was fidgeting around. I said, "S1, do you want to wear some pants?" He trucked right on over to me. I said,"Well, I'm busy so you need to take them to daddy and he'll help you." He took the pants from my hands and went straight across the room and handed them to his father! This is the first time he has EVER indicated that he wanted to get completely dressed and followed verbal cues without physical prompts so well. After he was dressed he started in on "Shoes, Shoes". Turns out he wanted to go outside and actually cared about getting dressed first, or finally he realized that it wasn't cool to just go out in a diaper, shoes and a jacket. Either way we were happy and needless to say I took him out for a nice long walk. I still had to have him on the leash though!

And, although my brain is in a fog at the moment and I can't remember specifically what happened, this same type of thing, understanding and compliance with verbal request has happened a couple of times over the past week, making us very proud of S1. Now if we could get him to stop stealing S3's toys and laughing when his brother cries!

No comments: