Friday, September 22, 2006

Good thing he's seeing the Plastic Surgeon

It's as if S3 can't wait to go have surgery on his head because in the past week he has banged up his head THREE times!!!

Last Saturday he and S2 were running up and down the hall having a blast. Well, I told S2 to knock it off, which of course he didn't. Instead he pushed past S3 while they were both running and sent S3 pointy forehead first into the corner of the wall. Dave picked him up, since I was cooking dinner or something like that, and thought he was fine except for the line in his head, so he just picked him up. Having experienced this before I would have gone straight for the ice to keep the swelling down. But since Dad had him I just kept cooking, thinking that S3 was fine. A couple seconds later I hear, "Jen- his head is splitting! It was fine two seconds ago." As I come running I see the goose egg that has formed and the line was splitting open and starting to bleed. So I grab the ice to help keep it from getting bigger and hopping it will shrink. Not bad enough for stitches but it will leave a lovely little line, this one is vertical and will go well with the horizontal one he has from when S2 pushed him while they played chase in the living room and he went flying into the edge of the couch (which is wood - except for the cushions of course). Of course he still has the scab.

Then on Tuesday or so S3 was going from the kitchen to the "landing" to go down the stairs. Well, he usually does this very well, until now he'd never done it poorly. This time however he slipped or something, my back was turned since I was putting dishes away, and fell sideways from the kitchen to the landing, hitting his nose on the way down, I believe, since when he got back up his nose was scrapped and bleeding! I picked him up and did my best to try and stop his bleeding nose but he wanted no part of it. I am pretty sure he broke his nose since it is still a bit swollen and black and blue across the bridge, not to mention the lovely vertical scab he's got on his left nostril. He didn't bleed too much and was back to his normal self. His nose did bleed periodically through the day but that was because he wouldn't stop sticking his finger up it! So far it doesn't look crooked but if it is, the plastic surgeon can just fix it when he goes in to reset his eye sockets.

The last incident was today and he ended up bruising left ear. I was sitting on my bed changing S1's diaper getting him ready for school. S3 was lying on the bed watching TV upside down. He decided to roll over to get a better view. But he was too close to the edge and I tried to stop him but S3 was too far away. Since he was at an angle when he rolled off the bed, he hit head first- onto the heating vent/grate that is on the floor! The plastic surgeon has said that he won't need a helmet after surgery but I plan on insisting on one because with the way that this week has gone, S3 is sure to bust a stitch or suffer some other head trauma. Poor kid.

No comments: