Sunday, February 07, 2010

Tick me off, then I'll speak

S1 only talks when it really serves his own purposes. He rarely calls anyone by name. So far he hasn't ever said either of his brothers names. Occasionally he may say mom or dad. Well, apparently if you tick him off enough, S1 will say your name. My sister was over with her daughter. They brought over a toy "laptop" that plays nursery songs that S1 enjoys. He loves playing with it. In fact he took it outside to jump on the trampoline and play with it. Don't you jump on the trampoline with all of your favorite things? Anyway, it was time for my sister and niece to leave so my sister packed up all their gear. While I held the toddler she went out to retrieve the laptop. Of course S1 did not want to give it up. So she took it away from him and high tailed it into the house, shoving it into her bag. We could hear S1 coming so I practically threw my niece at her and shoved them out the door.

S1 doesn't always say words very clearly, sometimes only the vowels make it out. My sister's name is Terraza. S1 came running into the house yelling (which he'd also never done before) Ey - a, Ey - a. You could tell he was mad as a hornet. I tried to get him to calm down by saying, "let's go look for your laptop S1." Since he followed me into his room I thought he was in agreement with me. Oh no. He ran in, still yelling madly "Ey - a, Ey -a", grabbed the stool he uses to climb into bed, went straight back into the living room, dropped the stool at the door and reached up and undid the top lock! When I pointed outside and told him that Terraza was already gone, he did give up trying to chase after her. However, he still was madly muttering her name. I went downstairs and called to him to follow as I went looking for his laptop. When I found it and tried to give it to him he shook his head and said forcefully, "No, no, no. Ey - a, Ey - a." S1 went back up the stairs and out to the trampoline to bounce out the emotions (that's what he does when he gets sad too). He didn't want his laptop which plays the sounds of different instruments, he wanted his cousin's laptop which plays the nursery rhymes he likes.

Of course I had to call my sister and tell her all about what happened. I think it started off something like, "Well congratulations Terraza, you finally ticked S1 off bad enough he said your name!" She could hardly believe it. Since his birthday was in about a month and she was at the Wal-Mart, she bought him the same one her daughter has and brought it straight over for him, since we live one mile from wally world. When she went to hand it to me I said, "Oh no. He's mad at you. You'd better take it to him because I don't know what he'll do the next time he sees you. You'd better go make nice." Guess who was thrilled with his present? And his aunt knows she bought him a present he likes - which isn't always an easy thing to do!

No comments: