Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Mr. Independent

Well, I gave you snippets about S1 and S2, so now it's S3's turn. S3 is now 2 1/2 years old - if you can believe it. I can't, I still think of him as my baby and I am constantly amazed at how he is growing up! Right now he has hit the independence stage of development. I am constantly hearing, "No mommy, don't touch it. I do it." Or S3 will run into the room, throw his arms victoriously in the air and say, "I did it!" I'll always say, "Good Job!" or some other equally congratulatory phrase, even though I usually have no clue what he just accomplished. But heck, if he's proud, I'm proud.

He's also going to be a smarty like S2. He knows his basic colors, how to count to at least 10, count out up to 10 objects and is identifying letters. His favorite show on PBS is Super Why - a show about using books to solve problems and learning to read! Last night around 5 pm he was mad because he kept saying, "Super Why" and I kept telling him it wasn't on. He tried messing with the TV and VCR and was unsuccessful at finding what he wanted. Since he hadn't had a nap, that independent streak you know, he was reduced to tears and fell asleep for the night at 6 pm without having eaten dinner. Thus this morning I am taping an episode for him to watch later on today should he request it again.

S3 is in a big boy bed now so it's fun to rollover in the morning and see his little face looking at me as he stands next to the bed waiting for me to get up. Once I open my eyes he chimes, "Good Morning Mommy". You can't blame me for sleeping as it is usually about 6:45 am when this occurs. However, being in a big boy bed makes it very difficult to get him down for a nap as he is no longer entrapped by a crib. I'm going to start working on potty training him as soon as I get the motivation. He's pretty much ready, I think, but I'm not looking forward to it. Not that S2 was hard, but it's still one more thing to do when I have so much to get done. Speaking of which, I'd better go and get some weeds pulled or bushes trimmed before the trash man gets here. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Mother 25 - 8 said...

Weeds pulled? You're very ambitious!! I'm good to get dishes washed much less yard work!!

Anonymous said...

when I was pregnant with the third one i decided to get a toddler bed for the second one so that she wouldn't feel like she got kicked out of her bed by her sister. I didn't want to cause any jealousy issues right off the bat. She pretty much stays in bed. plus her older brother was out of town when we got it for her and started her in it. Jacob had to sit at the top of the stairs to make sure #1 stayed in bed when he first got into a toddler bed.(which he is still in because we have no room for a twin in the kids room. the earlier than you want mornings is the sacrifice you have to make for encouraging your child to get in and out of bed on their own.

Wendy